Tor 25 jul / År 42 / Nr 3 2024

The strength, the expertise, and the drive to take lead in medical development

The Swedish pharmaceutical and medical technology company ABIGO Medical adopts a novel approach in many respects. Not only in terms of products, but also in terms of how the company is built up. All activities, from research and development to prototyping and full-scale manufacturing, are managed from Sweden.

Earlier this year, 75 per cent of ABIGO Medical was acquired by Essity. The remaining 25 per cent remain with founderJan G. Smith. ABIGO Medical is a business group with several subsidiaries in Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Finland. ABIGO Medical will continue all operations as a stand-alone company with research and development from the headquarters in Gothenburg.

Success is caring about local development
ABIGO Medical was founded in 1989 and after three decades of development the business is still highly focused on the same type of products but with more areas of application. ABIGO started out as a pharmaceutical company offering vitamins, and thanks to good results within this business the technology behind Sorbact was aquired. ABIGO is still developing vitamins and pharmaceuticals to treat illnesses related to ear, nose and throat (ENT). The pace of innovation is high with several new products being launched each year.
“Although we have a long history in pharmaceutical development as well, the core business is built on the Sorbact® wound care products. They generate the greatest revenue, and they also form the fastest growing product range. All manufacturing of the Sorbact® range takes place in our own factory located in Askersund, which is Sweden’s only plant of this kind”, informs Artur Aira, ABIGO Medical CEO as from May, 2020.
Evidently, success is caring about local development. ABIGO has dedicated a lot of resources to Askersund, and in recent years the factory has expanded both in terms of premises and staff. As the Sorbact® family of products expands, so does the manufacturing plant and thus creating more jobs locally.

An amazing place to work
Artur Aira has worked in large medical corporations for decades. He has witnessed many changes in the way things work within Big Pharma as well as in smaller biotechnology companies. ABIGO Medical attracted his attention largely thanks to the company’s strong entrepreneurship and innovation climate.
“I want to make a difference. At ABIGO, we focus on what is most important – people. We develop products that improve people’s health and quality of life. The people at ABIGO Medical are thriving as the company culture allows for personal development as well. It is truly an amazing place to work”, says Artur Aira.

A force to be reckoned with
There is a unique drive within ABIGO Medical that permeates the entire organisation, and it has been present ever since the company was founded by brothers Jan G. Smith and Leif Smith.
“I dare say that ABIGO greatly contributes to developing Sweden’s collective competitiveness in Life Science. We move much faster than our competitors. We have the strength, the expertise, and the drive to take lead in medical development”, declares Artur Aira, and asserts that ABIGO Medical will remain a force to be reckoned with.
“As we operate our research and development from Gothenburg, we contribute to placing the city on the map of prominent Life Science hubs, not just in northern Europe but globally”.